FROM THE CAMPSITE
THE CENTRAL LOCATION OF OUR CAMPSITE IN OCCITANIA, OPENS YOU THE DOORS OF
MANY HISTORICAL AND UNMISSABLE SITES SUCH AS CARCASSONNE
Carcassonne is a city located in the Aude, 2 hours from our campsite in the Tarn at Cahuzac-sur-Vère and 2 hours from Albi by freeway. The city has two monuments listed as Unesco Heritage Sites: the medieval city since 1997, and the Canal du Midi in 1996. Built as early as the 5th century, Carcassonne took off in the Middle Ages and the most charismatic buildings of the city date from this period. What one does not suspect are its green and natural corners.
NOT TO BE MISSED:
THE MEDIEVAL CITY
- the basilica Saint Nazaire built in 925
- the castle Comtal, built in the 12th century.
- the Narbonnaise gate, built around 1280 and located to the east,
- and the porte d'Aude, located to the west.
- You can also see the theater of the City. It was created in 1908.
- There are also the ramparts which have 52 towers spread over a double enclosure measuring 3 km long.
Photo ©Henri Sivonen
You have understood it, our family campsite in the Tarn
is the ideal place to spend your vacations.
CARCASSONNE, NATURE HIDDEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY
To refresh yourself on hot summer days, we recommend you to go to the lake of Cavayère. It is located about 10 minutes from the city. You can also walk or bike around the lake.
Real heritage of the Occitanie region, go to Carcassonne for a day from our campsite in the Tarn.
Carcassonne has many museums. We have selected a few for you:
- The book museum: located in an old abbey. It will teach you the old techniques of the book
- The school museum: what was school like in the 1900s?
- The house of chivalry: you will discover the daily life in the Middle Ages. You can also visit the Living History Center where you can talk to a 13th century knight.
- And of course, don't miss the traditional fireworks display in the town which takes place every 14th July at 10.30pm. We advise you to anticipate the large crowds and to arrive in the early afternoon.
And from August 24 to 27, Carcassonne organizes its féria where you can admire salsa and flamenco groups.