VISIT THE BASTIDES
FROM THE CAMPSITE
TO DISCOVER THE BASTIDES
FROM OUR CAMPSITE NEAR ALBI IN THE TARN
Bastides are new towns built during the Middle Ages between 1222 and 1373 in the South West. Today, they still bear witness to this period. We propose to discover three of the most notable in the region: Puycelsi, Bruniquel and Penne.
This village is perched on a rocky outcrop which overlooks the Vère valley at 150m.
Do not hesitate to stroll through the streets of the village and contemplate the charming houses of the XVth century. Its downtown will charm you by :
- The church of Sainte Corneille and its impressive 35m long nave.
- The chapel of Saint-Roch: This was built in 1703 after the village had escaped the plague. Today, this building houses the tourist office.
- The door of Irrissou: it testifies to the different attacks of the Middle Ages that the village has suffered. Next to it, you can see the Tower of the prison. You can also walk along the 800 m of . surrounded by the ramparts.
Photo ©VIJOROVIC Daniel
You have understood it, our family campsite in the Tarn
is the ideal place to spend your vacations.
MEMORY OF THE CATHAR RESISTANCE
In this village, you can visit the castle of Penne. It was built around 560 and is a vestige of the resistance of the Cathars. It is classified as a historical monument since 1902.
Below the castle you will find a small cross. This is the plague cross. It was erected in memory of the plague of 1653.
Thechurch of Sainte-Catherine extends the round tower. It is also classified as a historical monument.
The Roman bridge (Pont des Anglès) and the Thouron fountain (former wash house) are located at the bottom of the village.
The Ornano monument, a tribute to the memory of the maquisards, is located on the right bank of the Aveyron.
Photo ©VENT D'AUTAN-MEDIART
AT THE GATES OF QUERCY
Bruniquel is also located 30 minutes from Cahuzac-sur-Vère and our family campsite in Occitanie, and 50 minutes from Albi, in the Tarn et Garonne department.
The village would have been founded in 600. The two castles belong to the same family and are also classified as historical monuments since 1840.
Near the village and for the children, you can visit the prehistoric camp.
- Craftsmanship : the three bastides are home to many craftsmen and artists. Lutherie, pottery, leather, enough to bring back beautiful souvenirs from the Tarn.
- Music : for music lovers, Puycelsi proposes from July 18 to 28 a festival of New World music and string orchestra. This festival is organized by the association HARP . For those who like classical music, Bruniquel offers a music festival, specializing in Offenbach, at the end of July and beginning of August.
WE HAVE CHOSEN,
- At the foot of the village of Puycelsi, you will find the regional conservatory orchard of ancient fruit species. This one was created in 1986. You can visit it to discover more than 800 fruit trees. You can also taste tasty seasonal fruits. It is also organized the sale of fruit trees, fruit and fruit juice from the trees of the conservatory.
- The castles of Bruniquel were used as a film location for the movie "Le vieux fusil", starring Philippe Noiret - movie lovers, don't miss it!
Our campsite in the Tarn is ideally situated to discover the bastides of the Midi-Pyrénées region.